Episode 8 - Hanan’s Story: On Changing Religion and Working in the Occupation
SEND HANAN A NOTE
If you’d like to drop Hanan a note, please address it to her, and we’ll make sure she gets it!
Hanan shares about her work in East Jerusalem to assist women dealing with trauma and domestic violence, as well as her work in the West Bank to support and disciple Christians from a Muslim background. If you would like to support Hanan in the work that she is doing, please contact us for further information.
Check out these helpful resources for more information on the issues raised in this episode.
Hanan mentions the IDF, which is short for Israel Defense Forces, the name of Israel’s military.
The Arabic word “intifada” means “shaking off,” and in our context, it refers to the Palestinian uprisings against oppression and the Israeli occupation.
- Wikipedia provides information on the First Intifada, which was a largely non-violent Palestinian uprising against Israel’s occupation of Gaza and the West Bank from 1987 to 1993. To learn more about the human element of the First Intifada and women’s active and important roles in this struggle, see Just Vision’s film Naila and the Uprising.
- Wikipedia provides information on the Second Intifada, which lasted from late 2000 until early 2005.
While the information in the links provides a lot about the background, political context, casualties, and more, Hanan’s story emphasizes the human element, a small look into how this political situation affected her life.
The music featured in the intro and outro of the podcast comes from a live jam session of Palestinian musicians at Hosh Al Yasmine organic farm and restaurant located in Area C in Beit Jala.
The music tracks behind the interview and narration come from the following sources:
- "Ability," by Borrtex on the album Ability, which is available for noncommercial use under the Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 International License through the Free Music Archive. Slight changes were made to the audio track.
- Oud, tracks 04 and 05. Thank you to the New Vision Media Center for generously providing us access to these resources.
- The Wall, tracks 06, 09, and 17. Thank you to the New Vision Media Center for generously providing us access to these resources.
*Some names have been changed for anonymity.
Disclaimer: The WOMEN BEHIND THE WALL Team does not necessarily agree with or endorse all the opinions and perspectives linked to in the resources above.