Episode 9 - Vicky’s Story: Armenian Identity in the Midst of the Conflict
SEND VICKY A NOTE
If you’d like to drop Vicky a note, please address it to her, and we’ll make sure she gets it!
Vicky shares about Beit Ashams for Self-Development, the yoga studio and community center that her friend co-founded in Beit Jala, Palestine, to benefit the local Palestinian community. If you'd like to support this organization Vicky cares about, please contact Beit Ashams.
Check out these helpful resources for more information on the issues raised in this episode.
Armenians in Jerusalem
Here are some resources to provide a better understanding of the history and current situation of Armenians in Palestine and Israel.
- The Armenian Genocide of 1915.
- Historical presence of Armenians in Jerusalem.
- Learn about the Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem to get a deeper understanding of the religious heritage of Armenian Orthodox Christians.
- An overview of the Armenian Quarter in Jerusalem’s Old City, and photos of community life today.
Vicky and her family have Jerusalem ID cards, designated for non-Jews living in Jerusalem. Visualizing Palestine provides a helpful infographic of how the Israeli ID system works, and for whom it works.
The Permit System
In this episode, Vicky shares how the permit system affects her life and her neighbors' lives. The Israeli human rights organization B’Tselem describes this a little more in a press release entitled “Permit system to cross separation barrier is racist.”
Checkpoints and Forbidden Roads
Vicky references passing through Israeli checkpoints. The Israeli human rights organization B’Tselem documents the checkpoints and forbidden roads for Palestinians within areas allocated for a Palestinian state.
The music featured in the intro and outro of the podcast comes from a live jam session of Palestinian musicians at Hosh Al Yasmine organic farm and restaurant located in Area C in Beit Jala.
The music tracks behind the interview and narration come from the following sources:
- Oud, track 05. Thank you to the New Vision Media Center for generously providing us access to these resources.
- The Wall, tracks 01, 04, and 14. Thank you to the New Vision Media Center for generously providing us access to these resources.
*Some names have been changed for anonymity.
Disclaimer: The WOMEN BEHIND THE WALL Team does not necessarily agree with or endorse all the opinions and perspectives linked to in the resources above.