Episode 7 - Shireen’s Story: Crossing Borders for Love and Family
SEND SHIREEN A NOTE
If you’d like to drop Shireen a note, please address it to her, and we’ll make sure she gets it!
Shireen shares about The Guidance and Training Center for the Child and Family that works to support Palestinians by “providing preventative and therapeutic services in the field of mental health for children and families.” If you would like to support this organization, the best way to do so is to contact them directly through their website.
Check out these helpful resources for more information on the issues raised in this episode.
The Permit System
We discuss the permit system and how it affects Shireen and other Palestinians. Learn more about this complex Israeli system:
- Visualizing Palestine provides a helpful infographic of how the Israeli ID system works, and for whom it works.
- The Israeli human rights organization B’Tselem describes this a little more in a press release entitled “Permit system to cross separation barrier is racist.”
- Al Jazeera has an article, “ID cards split Palestinian families,” discussing how families are cut off from each other.
Checkpoints and Forbidden Roads
Shireen shares how checkpoints affect her family. The Israeli human rights organization B’Tselem documents the checkpoints and forbidden roads for Palestinians within areas allocated for a Palestinian state.
Palestinians with Israeli Citizenship
Shireen discusses the complexities that Palestinian citizens of Israel encounter when it comes to their identity. Israel refers to them as Israeli Arabs, but most Palestinian citizens of Israel refer to themselves as 1948 Palestinians, Palestinian-Israelis, or Palestinian citizens of Israel.
The music featured in the intro and outro of the podcast comes from a live jam session of Palestinian musicians at Hosh Al Yasmine organic farm and restaurant located in Area C in Beit Jala.
The music tracks behind the interview and narration come from the following sources:
- "Main Theme," "You Are Not Alone," "Collective Decision," "Road Trip," and "You Are Not Funny," by Borrtex on the album Untitled Love Story, which is available for noncommercial use under the Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 International License through the Free Music Archive. Slight changes were made to the audio tracks.
- The Wall, tracks 02, 03, 05, 08, and 14. Thank you to the New Vision Media Center for generously providing us access to these resources
*Some names have been changed for anonymity.
Disclaimer: The WOMEN BEHIND THE WALL Team does not necessarily agree with or endorse all the opinions and perspectives linked to in the resources above.