Episode 2 - Hind’s Story: The Struggles of Raising Children under Occupation
SEND HIND A NOTE
If you’d like to drop Hind a note, please address it to her, and we’ll make sure she gets it!
Hind shares about Life Agape, the organization she and her spouse work for to encourage and support Palestinian Christian youth in the Bethlehem area. If you would like to make a donation to specifically support Hind and her family in their work, contact us for further information as all donations to Life Agape need to be specifically designated in order for the funds to go to the right people.
Check out these helpful resources for more information on the issues raised in this episode.
The Permit System
In this episode, we discuss the permit system and how it affects Hind and other Palestinians. Here are a few links with further information:
- Visualizing Palestine provides a helpful infographic of how the Israeli ID system works, and for whom it works.
- The Israeli human rights organization B’Tselem describes this a little more in an old press release entitled “Permit system to cross separation barrier is racist.”
- Al Jazeera has an article, “ID cards split Palestinian families,” discussing how families are cut off from each other.
Checkpoints and Forbidden Roads
Hind mentions how she cannot drive more than a few kilometers without coming upon the wall or a checkpoint. The Israeli human rights organization B’Tselem documents the checkpoints and forbidden roads for Palestinians within areas allocated for a Palestinian state.
The music featured in the intro and outro of the podcast comes from a live jam session of Palestinian musicians at Hosh Al Yasmine organic farm and restaurant located in Area C in Beit Jala.
The music tracks behind the interview and narration come from the following sources:
- "Ability" by Borrtex on the album Ability, which is available for noncommercial use under the Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 International License through the Free Music Archive. Slight changes were made to the audio track.
- Oud, tracks 04, 05, and 06. Thank you to the New Vision Media Center for generously providing us access to these resources.
- The Wall, track 13. Thank you to the New Vision Media Center for generously providing us access to these resources.
*Some names have been changed for anonymity.
*Disclaimer: The WOMEN BEHIND THE WALL Team does not necessarily agree with or endorse all the opinions and perspectives linked to in the resources above.